Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Wax Tooth

Holy crap, do you know how hard it is to carve a tooth? That's our first assignment in Dental Anatomy - Carve a tooth out of a solid block of wax. I thought it wouldn't be that hard. I mean, I can cook, so I thought I would have no problem working with my hands. I mean, I can dice an onion pretty decently into an amateurish brunois. I even remember my interviewer asking me what part of school would I have the least trouble with, and I told him confidently, "Probably the clinical aspect... I've seen a lot already and I'm comfortable working with my hands."

Boy was I wrong. This is hard. I've never taken a sculpture class; maybe that's why.

It took Aaron and me two hours just to get the rough outline down. I mean, really really rough. We even closed one eye and compared the wax block with the model, trying to get the angles juuuuuust so...

Then, we realized we've been carving out the wrong tooth.

It's a good thing we figured this out early. Our instructor told us to expect to spend about 8 to 12 hours carving the darn thing.

Anyway, it's good to make my mistakes early. Get the bad karma out of my system and learn to double check, triple check before starting on our work.

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Lol. Tooth carving? Which tooth were you supposed to be carving? I can sympathize with ya. Tooth carving is difficult at the beginning. But then it gets easier after a while. All the best :)

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have confidence man..it took me 3 hrs for one molar in beginning

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous ches said...

oh boy, i'll be carving 16 pieces of tooth next week. im so scared.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

is there any vedio for demonstrating tooth carving using wax blocks

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Ruchika said...

even i wanna learn the TOOTH CARVING
i have carved incisors well
but canine is troubling
i have wasted around 8 block for canines yet and still cant carve it . somebody help

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Jesse Hake said...

How was your wax carving? I'm still laughing even after I've read your blog. Carving needs more than enough artistry (which I am lacking, too!) LOL! Anyways, that's the start for you in your course. It's good to have such an experience. I hope you're on the field right now. Kudos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home