Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving Aftermath

To be honest, I was somewhat torn between going home for Thanksgiving and staying up here in the Bay Area. On one hand, I wanted to stay behind and hang out with my friends, whom I haven't seen since I left for dental school. On the other hand, I knew that this Thanksgiving would be the first one without my grandmother and my uncle, and without our cousins and their children, who normally come around this time of year. Filial piety won out, so I flew home early Wednesday night to LAX.

The strangest thing about coming back to Los Angeles was how foreign it had become after six months living in San Francisco. I've grown so used to being surrounded by multistoried buildings and public transportation, as well as staring at computer screens, teeth, and other assorted small objects seventeen inches away from me. I'm positive my depth perception, as well as my driving instincts, have suffered.

Even going home seemed like taking a vacation. I was being transported to some otherworldly corner of suburbia with rolling hills and cliffs overlooking the sea. At this point in my life I'm not sure whether I would like to return home and take over my father's practice, but I do realize that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm enjoying city life here in SF. The convenience of walking down the street to get something from the store, not having to pay insurance or upkeep of a car, and not paying for GAS... that one's pretty huge.

We'll see how this goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home